Tuesday 3 October 2017

'True Tales from the Grave in the Age of Austen' - Mrs. Leach in limbo

Antiquarian Administration & Bureaucracy Behind the Scenes

More than three weeks has passed since the 'Material Worlds of Jane Austen' exhibition, and I had hoped that, by now, I would have been able to provide more information on, advertise, and offer tickets, for my next proposed event - 'True Tales from the Grave in the Age of Austen' (working title), which I intend to hold around Halloween.

The prospective format of this event was / is a guided tour around some of Derby's urban burial sites (specifically in the 'Cathedral Quarter), to explore death and burial in the Regency era, to be held 5-6 pm, Sat. 28th October.

Here's a (draft) summary, that (subject to editing) will accompany some of the promotional material:
To mark the bicentenary of Jane Austen’s death, join Georgian lady antiquarian Mrs. Leach on her tour of the Derby’s Cathedral Quarter, to find out how people dealt with death in the Regency era.
While visiting the sites of several ‘lost’ burial grounds, and ancient churchyards still in existence today, she will explore death, disposal, and remembrance in the late 1700s and early 1800s, through local and wider archaeological evidence, and other historical sources.
Discover how industrialisation and urbanisation; limited medical knowledge – and attempts to improve understanding; and even political circumstances, gave rise to grisly graveyards, and gruesome treatment of human remains – far removed from the elegant environs and sentimental society now commonly associated with the time. But we will also consider the care and affection shown by previous generations to the dying and deceased, in such trying conditions.
Generally, on publicly accessible land, permission is not required for the sort educational events that I (& other educators) lead, and the activities that groups might undertake (i.e. taking a few people to look at features on historical sites), though the leader of such expeditions might, by way of courtesy, notify the landowner of their intentions. So I contacted the administrator of the only site I intend to visit that I know not to be public land, and they very kindly, warmly, and quickly granted permission.

Regarding public land - with regard to my event, pavements, verges, and another piece of open urban land administered by local authorities: over the years that I've taught in Adult Education (since 2000), I've never heard of educators seeking permission from governing bodies, nor of other tour-leaders that I have known taking the trouble to do so.

But I have vague recollections - when previously looking into the prospect of holding a Christmas walk & talk on a local park (last year? a few years ago?) - of encountering online information provided by DCC that those wishing to carry out community activities on a council-managed park should first contact the council, suggesting they do so 4 weeks before the event (though the links I bookmarked are broken, and I can no longer find this information).

In searching for this information while recently preparing the Halloween event, I came across information provided by community groups, mentioning that some LA's required notification by organisers intending to conduct group / community activities on public land (though this was principally with regard to 'licensable' activities, such as selling alcohol).

Conducting tours as a freelance educator for the first time (& so without the weight of the WEA or a University employer behind me), I though I'd better err on the side of caution, & contacted the Local Authority a few days after the exhibition, to enquire whether permission is required for me to take (a) small group(s) on Council-owned land (initially in the town centre).

I await a response (though I have since made further contact by phone, to be assured that my enquiry is being, or will soon be, considered). The delay is understandable for what I expect are understaffed & overworked offices - and I am informed that 'Derby Fest' kept everyone pretty busy over the last few weeks.
In the meantime, I'm holding off advertisement & ticket sales, just in case, for some reason, I'm not granted permission; if conditions are imposed that further delay permission; or if administrative or other charges are imposed - which would make tours untenable, due to the small number of 'tourists' I might most safely and effectively guide, and the low ticket prices. So I feel a little in limbo at present (a topical state that I'll briefly discuss when considering ritual and belief during the talk / tour!).

Due to the potential for such an outcome, and bearing in mind that time is pressing on, I'm looking into putting on an alternative (but similar) event at the 'Academy', either as an 'armchair' tour of the sites I intended to cover, or a more general talk on Regency death and burial in Derby (and beyond) that incorporates at least some of the material I would have included on the guided tour.

Those attending events at the 'Academy' have opportunities to handle original and reproduction 18th and 19th century artefacts, and see fabulous caricatures and illustrations from the period, as well as hearing about some of the, at times, grisly, at others, tender, experiences, surrounding death and burial in the late Georgian period. Costume can be more interesting, and I may be able to get together some suitably spectacular material culture!

While most of the Cathedral Quarter tour requires daylight (albeit, I plan, to conclude at dusk) - and so must be held at the weekend (and consequently not coinciding with a day in the Halloween season), the alternative can be held 'after dark' (making atmospheric use of candle-light!)- 7-8 pm seeming most suitable, and on a day in the Halloween festival. 'All Soul's Day' (November 2nd) seems appropriate.

If I do run an 'Academy' event instead of a tour, unfortunately numbers will be further limited (as those who attended the exhibition might anticipate) - so the soiree would be particularly select! And I shall hopefully be able to offer a guided tour next year (probably considering a slightly wider time-frame), when the bureaucracy has been surmounted.

I shall provide more information ASAP (via the mailing list; on this blog, & the Academy website; via Twitter & the Facebook Page, and posters etc.; those on the mailing list will be first to receive the news, and have first refusal on tickets - to join, email antiquarianacademy [at] gmail [dot] com), and I hope to see readers at the event, whether housebound, or on Derby's streets!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

To limit intrusive commercial mail - which will go directly into the rubbish bin! - all comments will be moderated.